Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Blog 1 – Senior Final Lesson/Interview Reflection



1.  What three lessons were most helpful for you to see, and why?

Elijah Garcia - Editorial Publishing
I found his presentation to be the most helpful because I will be one of the editors-in-chief for next year's yearbook staff. His lesson not only gave me ideas for what I could do for my senior topic regarding yearbook , but it gave me a glimpse into what lies ahead for me in managing my future position.

Hasan Khan - Cardiology
Hasan's presentation was very helpful and gave me an insight as to how I could approach doing anesthesiology for my senior topic. His mentor was a cardiologist and he was able to observe him throughout his mentorship. The advice he presented about his mentorship was very informative.

Liliana Yzaguirre - Medicine
Liliana's presentation focused on how a patient feels while in a doctor's office, and though the topic I am considering does not typically take place in a doctor's office, it was still insightful to get the perspective of what a patient would feel. A patient's satisfaction still has relevance to any doctor, so it was very helpful.


2. List one thing that you learned about the senior project in interviews that will help you get off to a good start?

I learned that a lot of the things I had planned to hopefully do next year, I would have to set aside in order to prioritize my senior project. I wish I could focus on medicine for my senior project, since I find great interest in it, however, I have responsibilities as editor-in-chief that I would need to attend to.

3. What topic(s) are you considering, and why?

I am considering a topic related to yearbook, such as editorial management. I would pursue this because I would be editor-in-chief for the yearbook staff next year and that position has many responsibilities. Another option for me is anesthesiology. I am greatly influenced by the work my mom does as an anesthesiologist herself and I am passionate about the sciences.

4. What EQ do you think might be interesting to consider in guiding a project like this? (Please don't worry about any sort of formula...we want this question to come from your genuine interest).

Yearbook: How can an editorial staff be best managed in order to efficiently produce a well-published book?

Anesthesiology: What is the best way an anesthesiologist can ensure that his or her surgical patient will be relieved of pain through the administering of anesthetics?

5. What are some ideas you have about finding summer mentorship?

For anesthesiology, I would be able to find a summer mentorship through the doctors that my mom works with. She is friends with many other anesthesiologists that I have known growing up and I plan to shadow one of her friends and see what he does at work. For yearbook, I'm not completely sure where I would do my summer mentorship, however, I would be attending yearbook camp along with  Mr. Strand and other yearbook editors during the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment