Monday, January 4, 2016

Blog 12: Holiday Project Update



[This is a photo of one of the gall bladder removal procedures I observed.]
1.  It is important to consistently work on your senior project, whether it is break or we are in school.  What did you do over the break with your senior project?

I observed an ankle surgery, an appendectomy, a circumcision, an several other procedures during my winter break. I also spent my New Year's Eve at my mentorship because my mentor was on call that night. I got to observe a few c-sections as well as a number of other surgeries throughout the day.

2.  What was the most important thing you learned from what you did, and why?  What was the source of what you learned?


One of the important keys to note about anesthesiology is to know the patients like the back of your hand. Every person is different and reacts to medications differently. One wrong move can have major consequences. A specific instance to note was when I watched the circumcision of a 10-year-old boy. It was the first pediatric case I had watched while at mentorship and I learned from  my mentor that as a reaction to the anesthesia, children more often than not wake up crying.

3.  Your third interview will be a 10 question interview related to possible answers for your EQ. Who do you plan to talk to and why?


My mom has friends that work at UCLA's Medical Hospital and I hope to land an interview with one of the anesthesiologists. He is very knowledgeable about the craft and even lectures at the medical school.

No comments:

Post a Comment