Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Blog 8: Independent Component 1 Proposal


[Example of what is taught in CPR class.]

1.  Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours.

For 3 hours every Sunday I work in OB at San Antonio Regional Hospital. I help the nurses provide for the patients and I could get the chance to observe the anesthesiologists that come by to give patients epidurals before c-sections. I was also considering signing up for a CPR class, as it is something that all people going into the medical field should know. I also would like to shadow my mentor more at work because every time I go to visit, there's always something new to learn about the job. These are the main ideas I've had about this component, however I'm not exactly sure how to showcase my topic well. I don't know exactly what my best option would be.


2.  Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence.

At the hospital I volunteer at, volunteers are required to log in their hours before each shift, so I would be able to keep track of my hours through that. I'd take pictures (with permission) of the patients/doctors as I observe and document the highlights. If I'm able to take a CPR class, I would spend the hours taking the course and show those hours via pictures and my progress. By shadowing my mentor, I would log the hours by writing about each surgery I observe each day and summing up what I've learned. 

3.  Explain how what you will be doing will help you explore your topic in more depth.

Ideally, shadowing my mentor is where I feel like I gain the most knowledge. Being able to see what he does on the job really helps me see the things I read about in action and I'd document the most interesting experiences. I'd want to observe as many surgeries as I can in the process. In addition, he often performs epidurals as well while on call. But both shadowing my mentor and volunteering at the hospital are great resources for experience in different aspects of anesthesiology. Taking a CPR class would be beneficial because resuscitating a person is one of the basic skills an anesthesiologist or any doctor should know.

4.  Update your Senior Project Hours log.
  



[Anesthesia jokes are great.]

No comments:

Post a Comment