Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Blog 16: Independent Component 2 Approval


[UCLA Wasserman Building.]

1.  Describe in detail what you plan to do for your 30 hours.

I plan to further observe procedures done by anesthesiologists from other hospitals outside of my mentorship to broaden my knowledge of how other anesthesiologists may perform procedures differently apart from my mentor. There are two other hospitals in particular that I plan on observing other anesthesiologists at work. There is a third hospital that I plan to visit as well, however I still have to arrange for a day.

2.  Discuss how or what you will do to meet the expectation of showing 30 hours of evidence.

On Friday, February 12, I will be visiting the UCLA Wasserman Building at the Stein Plaza on Westwood Blvd. It is the neurosurgery building at UCLA. There I will shadow under Dr. Zhuang T. Fang, the anesthesiologist I interviewed for Interview #3. He allowed me to observe surgeries for the whole day. (basically from 7AM until all surgeries for the day are done).

I plan to also observe surgeries at the Chino Valley Medical Center. There I will also observe surgeries throughout the day under another anesthesiologist. I have not yet arranged for a specific day, but watching more surgeries done by a variety of anesthesiologists is more beneficial.

I volunteer at the San Antonio Regional Hospital in Upland in Maternity every Sunday. There are always anesthesiologists that come by regarding patients and I often get the chance to ask them questions and if asked, observe epidurals. What I am most interested in for this case is how anesthesiologists interact with their patients to make them more comfortable.


3.  Explain how this component will help you explore your topic in more depth.

Dr. Zhuang T. Fang is an attending for UCLA anesthesiology residents, meaning that he teaches and watches students perform anesthesia procedures for training. I feel that with his many years of experience will be helpful in understanding more about my topic.

I have had previous experience at Chino Valley Medical Hospital, but have not really observed procedures there. I have known different doctors at the hospital and watching different anesthesiologists perform procedures can allow me to get a better grasp of how anesthesiologists can make patients safer and more comfortable. People in general do the same tasks differently, so being able to watch how other doctors of the same profession perform anesthesia can offer more options for what I can look into regarding research, more support for answers to my EQ, and about the topic in general. I expect that the time spent at UCLA and at Chino Valley Medical Center will take up a majority of the time for this IC. However, I feel that some time can be spent around anesthesiologists at San Antonio Regional Hospital to see how they interact with patients undergoing labor, as this is still an important aspect of anesthesiology. Also, I volunteer every Sunday at the hospital in the Maternity Dept. in which I see and interact with these patients all the time. With this, however, I aim to focus more on the anesthesiologist's interactions with the patients and how they communicate, as this is related to a possible EQ answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment