Friday, February 5, 2016

Independent Component 1


LITERAL

“I, Julianne General, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30+ hours of work.” My mentorship at Desert Valley Medical Hospital under Dr. Richard Kakes has helped me learn more about anesthesiology in the field and in action. Throughout my mentorship, I have seen a variety of surgeries, such as gallbladder removal, appendix removal, knee replacement (which is another story in itself because I nearly passed out from the smell), circumcisions, different prostate surgeries, cyst removal, and also repairing of fractures. Each day brings about a new experience and another set of fun stories to share.

 
INTERPRETIVE 

I completed extra hours of mentorship for this independent component, because watching what actually happens with the job is the best way to learn a topic like anesthesiology. I spent extra time observing what happens, during surgeries and this has helped me attain a greater grasp of what I read in research I find on anesthesia. I know more about the drugs used and the most I watch my mentor intubate a patient, the more I notice minor details that an experienced anesthesiologist would do to further ensure a patient's safety.

Here are some photos while at mentorship:








APPLIED

There have been several cases that have stuck out to me that have broadened my knowledge of anesthesia. For example, the story I shared during my lesson 2. My mom and I were about to leave for the day when my mom received a call from the ER saying that a woman was dying and needed emergency surgery. She had ruptured a stomach ulcer and when we saw her she was dying right in front of us. We brought her in to the OR and I sat in the corner and watched as she was quickly put under anesthesia. We were there for 2 hours and throughout that time, her condition was very unstable. In the end, we took her to the ICU because she was still in critical condition. This experienced helped me figure out an answer to my EQ, being that anesthesiologists should be well-versed in the drugs they use.

Another experience was when I walked in the OR and my mentor was wrapping up a surgery with a patient that was just waking up. But I was totally surprised when I saw the tall, grown man sobbing in so much pain after having his gallbladder removed. My mentor told me that he was a drug addict, so the drugs don't mix well with any narcotics he was able to give him throughout the surgery. He also said that this is normal for people that abuse drugs. It just surprised me because I hadn't seen anything like it before.

I can also recall one time that I was allowed to stand right where the surgeon was standing. For one case, a woman had to have 2 masses removed from her fallopian tubes. It was a long surgery and at one point the surgeon had to take a short break. When he came back, he asked me if I wanted to stand on the stepping stool to look inside and see what he had been working on. It was quite a unique experience because not only did I get to see the inside, but I found it interesting to still see her lungs moving, still breathing for her while under anesthesia.

There was one time I watched a circumcision of a 10-year-old boy. He was very scared for his surgery and I watched as my mentor calmed him down by showing him the oxygen mask while still in the holding room. He talked to him very softly and explained that he it would be over before he knew it. And after the surgery, right as the boy was waking up, (and perfect timing, I might add), my mentor explained that usually children cry a lot as a reaction to anesthesia. It was just normal. And sure enough, the boy woke up already crying and shivering.

On my first day of mentorship, I had just finished watching the first surgery of the day. And as I was walking out of the OR, I suddenly heard a woman wailing and screaming in pain across the hallway. I saw the surgical team move her into another OR. She was about to give birth but needed an emergency c-section. It was a very interesting experience because in a matter of minutes, the woman went from wailing in pain to being under anesthesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment